Newport News holding second hearing on proposed 2020 budget

News

NEWPORT NEWS, Va. (WAVY) — Newport News council will hold the second public hearing on the proposed budget Thursday as educators are continuing to seek more funding.

Many teachers and commmunity members spoke at the first public hearing about the city’s operational budget earlier this week.

City Manager Cynthia Rohlf has  proposed a $900 million budget for 2020 fiscal year — which would represent a 2% increase over the adopted budget for the current fiscal year.

Rohlf recommended keeping school funding the same, but the school board voted earlier in the year to ask council for $2.4 million more for raises and added positions.

PREVIOUS: Proposed NN schools budget includes 2% raise for staff

Rhonda Wagner, president of the Newport News Education Association, said seeing the proposed budget felt like a slap in the face.

Mayor McKinley Price said adding more to the budget would cause tax increases, and noted council presented options the school board can consider to fund raises. The options include funds already in its budget, like surplus and cash capital

Price said the city would replenish funds spent by allocating more money into its capital improvement budget, which will be voted on later this year.

Thursday’s public hearing is scheduled for 7 p.m. at the Denbigh Comminity Center.


WAVY’s Kevin Green and Kara Dixon contributed to this story.

Copyright 2019 Nexstar Broadcasting, Inc. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.

Election Day Links

More Election Day Links

LKQD Outstream

Don't Miss

Nativo

WAVY Twitter Widget

WAVY Facebook