SAN FRANCISCO, Calif. (KRON) — Colin Kaepernick announced Thursday he is donating $100,000 to aid communities of color during the coronavirus pandemic.
He encouraged others to donate to the Know Your Rights Camp COVID-19 Relief Fund to assist disproportionate communities highly affected by the crisis.
The “Know Your Rights” campaign focuses on food, shelter relief, education, personal protective equipment and incarcerated populations to help slow the spread of the virus and provide the resources needed.
“Black and brown communities are being disproportionally devastated by COVID-19 because of hundreds of years of structural racism,” the former 49ers quarterback said in a video he posted to Twitter. “That’s why we’ve established the ‘Know Your Rights’ Camp COVID-19 Relief Fund to help address these issues.”
- Hampton Coliseum Box Office reopening to public Monday; ticket refunds available
- Today’s Takeout: Sal’s Ristorante Italiano
- Celebrating the Class of 2020 – June 4
- Watch Live: Memorial service for George Floyd to be held in Minneapolis, Thursday 2 p.m.
- Suspect identified in 2007 disappearance of 3-year-old Madeleine McCann