Before John McCain became a senator, he spent an early part of his life in the Navy.
Here’s a look at some of the major milestones in McCain’s military and political career:
- John McCain entered the Naval Academy in June 1954 and remained in the Navy until 1981.
- He was captured during the Vietnam War. Five years later, McCain was released— in March 1973.
- McCain ran to represent Arizona in the US House of Representatives and won. He was elected in 1982.
- The Arizona Republican was elected to the US Senate in 1986 to seat left behind by the retirement of Sen. Barry Goldwater.
- He announced his run for president in 1999, but his candidacy was overshadowed by George W. Bush.
- McCain ran again and became the GOP presidential nominee in the 2008. He lost to Barack Obama.
- In 2017, McCain served as chairman of the Senate Committee on Armed Services.