CHICO, Cal. (KNVN) -- A California home is off-limits after authorities say multiple people overdosed inside the residence.
Chico police and first responders were called to the house Saturday morning. Inside they found one person dead and 14 others overdosed.
Two responding officers were taken to the hospital for exposure to fentanyl. Four people remain in critical condition, along with two others who remain in serious condition.
The home is considered hazardous and has been roped off. Authorities are stopping all traffic from entering the area until the house is cleaned.
Chico Police Chief Mike O'Brien says, "So every indication is that this mass overdose incident was caused from the ingestion of some form of fentanyl in combination with another substance although that is yet to be confirmed."
Chico Fire Department Division Chief Jesse Alexander said, "so at that point, we ended up having six fire units and eight medic units committed to this incident at one time. So pretty much stripping, very much stripping the entire city of all the apparatus we have."
Alexander continued, "for a single family residence to get this many individuals, especially all at one time to walk in and have six cpr in progress, that's a pretty big deal. And no, I have not experienced that many cardiac arrests at the same time."
3 children among 4 found dead after west
W.Va. teachers' unions call for strike
- Virginia joins 15 other states suing Trump over national emergency
- Pit bull puppy turned away from PetSmart play date promotion, VB woman says
- Police investigating shooting on I-264 in Portsmouth
- Police: Child shot in Portsmouth, taken to hospital with serious injuries
- Pitch for Pot: Mother of child with cancer, local delegate want marijuana reform in Va.
- 85-year-old woman hospitalized in hit-and-run crash in Norfolk dies
- Nikola's Story: Parents of child with rare disease push Va. to update newborn screening
Chesapeake Copyright by WAVY - All rights reserved