HAZEL CREST, Ill. — A U.S. soldier from Illinois was among three people killed in an attack on a military base in Kenya.
WGN has confirmed that 23-year-old Army Specialist Henry Mayfield Jr. of Hazel Crest was killed Sunday. Mayfield joined the Army in 2018.
Two other Americans, both contractors with the U.S. Department of Defense, were also killed.
Members of the extremist group, al-Shabab, overran an airfield near a U.S. Military base, destroying planes and equipment. The airstrip is near the Somalian border and is used by US forces.
Kenya’s military said at least four attackers were killed.
Al-Shabab claimed responsibility for the assault.
- Northam announces program to reduce evictions across Virginia, specific parts of Hampton Roads
- Gov. Northam deflects calls to increase fans allowed at high school sports
- Tillis, colleagues introduce amendment to get students back to school
- VSP arrests two men linked to double shooting near I-85 Petersburg
- Confirmed case of Multisystem Inflammatory Syndrome found in Virginia