NORFOLK, Va. (WAVY) – Operation Homefront continues its mission this holiday season. The national non-profit says many military families have experienced financial strain caused by the pandemic and have turned to them for help.
This weekend, the organization’s Holiday Meals for Military® program is coming to Norfolk.
On Saturday, the non-profit will be at the Y on Granby in Norfolk to hand out 300 gift cards to local families so they can buy all the essentials for a complete, traditional holiday meal. The selected military families pre-registered for the program.
The national meals program began in 2010. This year, it will hit a milestone by serving its 500,000th military family member.
Due to the current pandemic, this year, the program will be conducted in a drive-thru format and will follow CDC safety guidelines, organizers said.
The distribution is happening Dec. 5 from 11 a.m. until 3 p.m.
Click here to learn more about Operation Homefront.
- Immigration advocates ask Biden for humanitarian assistance, clarity for refugees
- More than a dozen Capitol officers sick with COVID-19, report says
- Alleged white supremacist arrested after ankle monitor puts him at Capitol riot
- 3 South Texas congressmen ‘optimistic’ as Biden vows to tackle immigration
- VA House passes bill to keep some pandemic election changes; Republican leader casts doubt on results