VIRGINIA BEACH, Va. (WAVY) — A U.S. Coast Guard crew from Air Station Elizabeth City rescued a man having a medical emergency on board a container ship.
A crew member on the container ship Zim Shekou suffered symptoms of a potential heart attack Monday night. The ship was located 48 miles off of the Virginia Beach coast at the time of the medical emergency, according to a news release.
The ship’s captain contacted the Coast Guard Sector Virginia for help. The man was medevaced to Sentara Norfolk General Hospital by a Jayhawk helicopter staffed with Coast Guard crew from Air Station Elizabeth City.
The Coast Guard did not provide a status update on the man’s condition.
- 12-year-old boy accepted to Georgia Tech; hopes to become aerospace engineer
- Gloucester Sheriff’s Office searching for missing woman
- More monoliths materialize around the world … as memes
- Activists organizing vehicle caravan to call for immigration reform, suspension of deportations
- US House passes bill that would prohibit public contact with big cats, like tigers