PORTSMOUTH, Va. (WAVY) — Police say a 38-year-old man has been arrested in connection with an early morning shooting in Portsmouth.
Police say 48-year-old Johnny Crawford of Portsmouth was killed around 2 a.m.
Police say they have charged 38-year-old Melvin Muniz of Portsmouth with first-degree murder and use of a firearm in the commission of a felony.
He turned himself in Thursday night and was in Portsmouth Police custody as of 10 p.m. Thursday night.
Emergency communications was notified about the shooting around 1:54 a.m. Thursday in the 40 block of Gilmerton Avenue.
Officers arrived on scene and located Crawford, who was shot in the torso. He later died at the scene.
There are no other details at this time, but police were still at the scene as of 7 a.m.
One woman who spoke to 10 On Your Side said it was her uncle, and that her family is in a lot of pain right now.
Anyone with information is asked to call the Crime Line at 1-888-LOCK-U-UP (1-888-562-5887) or submit a tip online.
Stay tuned to WAVY.com for the latest updates.
- (VIDEO) Patterson steps up, leads No. 20 Hokies past NC State 45-24
- (VIDEO) Armstrong, Davis help Virginia rally past winless Duke 38-20
- Norfolk family pleads for justice after body of 17-year-old girl found in Newport News
- NC agencies work with FBI to arrest 3 men on firearms, drug-related charges
- ‘She is the female Scalia’: Lawmakers react to President Trump picking Amy Coney Barrett to replace RBG