PORTSMOUTH, Va. (WAVY) — A man accused of assaulting two women in Portsmouth is in police custody after surrendering Wednesday afternoon following a barricade situation.
WAVY’s Laura Caso reports the suspect apprehended is confirmed as 43-year-old John M. Newby.
Portsmouth police issued a news release Wednesday morning calling on the public’s help in locating Newby. The release said officers responded to the 2800 block of Bayview Boulevard for two alleged incidents where women were assaulted.
The first happened around 9:20 p.m. on Tuesday. The victim reportedly told police she had been assaulted by a man she had just met.
Police secured warrants for Newby’s arrest for assault and battery and strangulation.
Later that night, police were called back to Bayview Boulevard in reference to a fight. The victim of this second incident told police she was assaulted and had visible injuries, the release said.
Police said she was taken to a local hospital for treatment, but her injuries were not life-threatening.
Additional warrants were obtained for Newby in connection to the second assault, police said. Those warrants include charges of abduction, attempted murder, malicious wounding, assault and battery of a family member and strangulation.
Newby was caught after officers and SWAT responded to Bayview Boulevard on Wednesday for a barricade situation. The 43-year-old surrendered hours after the situation started.
Stay with WAVY.com for the latest developments.