WILLIAMSBURG, Va. (WAVY) – Police arrested a 19-year-old William & Mary football player after he allegedly broke into a home and sexually battered a victim.
Police were sent to the 200 block of Matoaka Court in Williamsburg around 2:45 a.m. Saturday following a reported breaking and entering.
After further investigations, police arrested 19-year-old George Eberle around 9 a.m. that same day and transported him to the Virginia Peninsula Regional Jail. He was released from jail on Monday on a $10,000 secured bond.
He is facing one felony count of sexual battery and one count of felony breaking and entering.
A spokesperson from William & Mary told 10 On Your Side that Eberle was on the 2019 football team roster as a punter from New Jersey.
The spokesperson said that the university is aware of Eberle’s arrest is cooperating with the authorities. The university has declined any comments regarding possible punishments for Eberle.
Latest Williamsburg Posts
- VPRJ staff will wear masks, quarantine newly-committed inmates to prevent spread of COVID-19
- Pilot was not cleared to fly at time of 2018 fatal helicopter crash in Williamsburg
- Williamsburg COVID-19 survivors ‘We have never been this sick’
- Williamsburg man says coronavirus took his wife’s life
- Second resident at senior living community in Williamsburg tests positive for COVID-19