HAMPTON ROADS, Va. (WAVY) — Two local Walmart stores closed early Saturday evening due to a ‘potential threat’ — one in Chesapeake and one in Norfolk.
WAVY News reporter Tamara Scott confirmed that the Walmart off North Military Highway was closed as of 6:30 p.m.
When she asked customers leaving what was the reason for the closure, they told Scott it was due to “riot concerns.”
At 6:30 p.m., Chesapeake Police confirmed that the Chesapeake Square Walmart was also closed down for the rest of the day as a result of a “potential threat.”
Chesapeake Police are closely monitoring the situation.
It is not confirmed if the closures and are related to the recent protests or something else.
10 On Your Side reached out to Walmart for a statement regarding the closures.
As we continue monitoring the situations unfolding in cities across the country, we will keep our focus on prioritizing the safety of our associates and customers. We’ll make the decisions to close stores in your area based on the needs of the community.Walmart Corporate Communications
- Pain at the pump: 4 reasons why you pay more
- ‘It was like losing her all over again’: Mother of Summer Wells says why she walked out of interview aired on Dr. Phil
- UNLV student’s family calls fraternity boxing match, ‘school-sanctioned amateur fight that cost him his life’
- ‘Jesus Christ Superstar’ actor charged in Capitol riot heading home despite ‘gobbledygook’ at hearing
- Video: Bear raids garage freezer, eats $600+ worth of frozen meat