VIRGINIA BEACH, Va. (WAVY) — Virginia State Police with assistance from the Chesapeake Bureau of Criminal Investigations are investigating a interstate shooting early Thursday.
State police say the incident occurred just before 1:30 a.m. in the area of westbound I-264, west of Birdneck Road. Police say this appears to be an isolated incident and there is no current threat to the community.
The westbound area of I-264 at Parks Avenue, and both the north and southbound sides of Birdneck Road, to westbound 264 entrance ramps are closed while police investigate the incident.
State Police say the preliminary investigation shows a man was driving a 2004 gray Toyota Camry when he was shot at multiple times. He was taken to Sentara Norfolk General Hospital with life-threatening injuries.
Police say the only suspect information so far is that the shooter was in a dark colored sedan. Anyone who was driving in the area at the time is asked to contact the Virginia State police at (757) 424-6800 or email@example.com.
Stay tuned to WAVY.com for updates.
- Man injured in shooting on Broad Street in Portsmouth
- Crews respond to fire on Brandon Boulevard in Virginia Beach
- Overturned vehicle on I-64 in Newport News closes westbound travel lanes
- Officers, family and friends remember late Officer Katie Thyne
- Man dies in shooting on Jefferson Avenue in Newport News