VIRGINIA BEACH, Va. (WAVY) — Fire investigators believe improperly discarded smoking materials caused a fire that destroyed a family’s townhome Thursday afternoon.
Two adults, their four-year-old child and two pet dogs were displaced by the fire in the 4500 block of Marlwood Way. That’s in the Kempsville Lakes section of Virginia Beach.
There were no injuries reported from the fire.
Firefighters got the call just after 2 p.m. and arrived to find heavy smoke and flames coming from the townhome.
The fire also caused some exterior damage to the unit next door, according to fire officials.
The family is being assisted by the American Red Cross.
- Gov. Cooper’s latest mask mandate has ‘a lot of teeth’ to it, attorney says
- Years-long nurse shortage in North Carolina exacerbated by pandemic, officials say
- Winning poodle ‘Kam’ at dog show named after Norfolk’s Kam Chancellor
- No COVID-19 update for North Carolina on Thanksgiving
- Michael Jordan donates $2 million from ‘The Last Dance’ proceeds to Feeding America