VIRGINIA BEACH, Va. (WAVY) — Virginia Beach Police say a woman was hit and killed by a car Friday night on North Birdneck Road.
Police responded to a call about a pedestrian-vehicle crash around 7:30 p.m. in the 500 block of North Birdneck Road Friday.
Initial investigation shows a woman, identified as 54-year-old Sherry Sexton of Virginia Beach, was crossing the road when she was hit by a vehicle traveling southbound.
A witness to the crash began life-saving efforts. First responders took over once they arrived on scene.
Despite their efforts, Sexton died at the scene from her injuries, police said.
Traffic was shut down both northbound and southbound travel between Old Virginia Beach Road and 24th Street while police investigated the scene.
Police did not release additional information.
Stay with WAVY.com for updates.
- Final supermoon of the year happening this week: Here’s when to see it
- High-tech company Vectrona lands expansion grant in Virginia Beach
- Virginia virtual learning programs seeing more students, teachers than pre-COVID times
- Lawn and garden manufacturer Oldcastle APG setting up new production facility in Suffolk, creating 28 new jobs
- Chesapeake man sentenced to more than 17 years for transportation of child pornography