VIRGINIA BEACH, Va. (WAVY) — Virginia Beach Police say a woman was hit and killed by a car Friday night on North Birdneck Road.
Police responded to a call about a pedestrian-vehicle crash around 7:30 p.m. in the 500 block of North Birdneck Road Friday.
Initial investigation shows a woman, identified as 54-year-old Sherry Sexton of Virginia Beach, was crossing the road when she was hit by a vehicle traveling southbound.
A witness to the crash began life-saving efforts. First responders took over once they arrived on scene.
Despite their efforts, Sexton died at the scene from her injuries, police said.
Traffic was shut down both northbound and southbound travel between Old Virginia Beach Road and 24th Street while police investigated the scene.
Police did not release additional information.
Stay with WAVY.com for updates.
- Newsfeed Now: President Trump heads to Arizona, Biden works virtually from Delaware
- Blog: Hurricane and Snow Storm for the South
- Virginia voters are still requesting mail-in ballots despite deadline
- Biden up 12 points on Trump in Virginia, latest CNU poll finds
- Motorcyclist dies in James City County crash, passenger taken to hospital