VIRGINIA BEACH, Va. (WAVY) The Judeo Christian Outreach Center works to keep people from going hungry.
They offer community dinners every night, but also give families with children 2 big boxes of food to take home every month.
"At JCOC, one of our big things is we want to prevent homelessness so if its giving a family a couple of boxes of food to help them not to have to choose paying rent and paying for food then we love it," said development director Kristen Ward.
Ward says over the last few months, grocery stores have closed.
"So everybody's hurting, all the food pantry's are hurting and JCOC is unfortunately one of those that is hurting from that," she said.
And donations have decreased.
"Our shelves are really empty it might not look empty but for us they're empty," said Ward.
So what do they need? Non-perishables.
"Like pastas, this is a big thing that's needed, crackers things that go a long way and fill your stomach," she said.
Just this week JCOC gave out food boxes for 17 families to 56 people in those homes.
"Just this week we gave 17 out so 17 families representing 56 people in those households have received food," she said.
Ward says the need doesn't stop, shes hoping more people can donate so they can continue to fill empty stomachs.
You can learn more and where to donate here: https://jcoc.org/
- Police: Teen left dog inside vehicle at Busch Gardens, struck officer
- Public hearings Wednesday and Thursday for HRBT expansion project input
- Exclusive: Man stabbed 8 times near Oceanfront, suspect claims self defense
- Dog rescued from 120-degree car at Norfolk outlet mall
- Teen killed in shooting on Herbert Collins Way in Norfolk; arrest made
- Person shot on Bagnall Road in Norfolk
- Nansemond Indian Nation to celebrate long-awaited federal recognition at 30th pow wow
Virginia Beach Copyright 2018 Nexstar Broadcasting, Inc. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.
Norfolk Copyright 2018 Nexstar Broadcasting, Inc. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.
Virginia Beach Copyright by WAVY - All rights reserved