VIRGINIA BEACH, Va. (WAVY) — Dozens of people gathered together at Lake Edward Park Saturday afternoon in honor of 22-year-old Richard Anderson.
Anderson, otherwise known as ArJai, was a son, brother, blossoming model, and close friend to many.
“He always just wanted everybody to move in love, be humble, and look out for each other,” said Anderson’s sister, Tyanna.
It’s been a little over a month since ArJai was shot and killed in Virginia Beach. But to Anderson’s family, the pain is as fresh as if it happened yesterday.
- PREVIOUS: Police identify victim of deadly shooting on Newtown Road; 8 shot in Virginia Beach since Saturday
“It’s hard waking up every day and expecting to hear him and he’s not there. So, it’s hard, it’s definitely hard,” said Anderson’s mom, Tan Mosby.
Family members say Anderson, who’s from Henrico, was in the area for a party.
They say he stepped outside to smoke a cigarette when he was murdered in a parking lot during an attempted robbery.
Officials say the incident happened near Lake Edward Park just after midnight on November 9.
Mosby hopes someone will come forward to help police solve the case. The family is now putting up a substantial award for information leading to a conviction.
“Black lives should matter when it’s our Black and Brown kids doing this to each other. Now, they’ve done it to one of mine and I’m not going for it,” she said.
Police don’t have any suspects but say the preliminary investigation shows the victim was standing in a parking lot when he was approached by an unknown person and shot.
“Nothing they could ever do could bring him back but it would give us some solace to know these people are off the streets,” Mosby explained.
She says her son was a bright light to everyone around him and they won’t stop until justice is served.
If you know anything, call the crime line at 1-888-LOCK-U-UP (562-5887). To send a tip via text message on a cell phone, text “VBTIP” to “CRIMES” (274637).
- Couple tried to hold wedding at Florida mansion they didn’t own
- Biden will set goal to cut US carbon emissions in half by 2030
- Terry McAuliffe has large polling lead in Democratic field for governor, new CNU poll finds
- 2 people rushed to hospital after jumping from top floor of burning Norfolk condo building
- You can help restore the Earth on Earth Day and every day