VIRGINIA BEACH, Va. (WAVY) — Virginia Beach Police say a man died Friday night after he was struck by a vehicle.
The call came in around 10 p.m. for the crash reported near the intersection of 69th Street and Atlantic Avenue, dispatchers said.
Officers arrived on the scene to find 55-year-old Michael Francis Ott Jr, who had been hit. He died from his injuries at the scene.
10 On Your Side’s Tamara Scott sat down with Congresswoman Elaine Luria today as she described the life of her dear friend Michael Ott Jr who was killed Saturday night in a pedestrian accident.
“It’s just very difficult to know someone’s life has ended so suddenly who had so much more to give,” said Luria.
Luria said she could not believe the news once his identity was revealed by family and friends. She says she has really great memories of working with him and socializing.
“We were very different. We didn’t always agree on things, but the truth is, he was someone who listened, understood, compassion, and he was someone who was fair,” she said.
After a change in career, he put his focus on what was important to him and that’s where all his love was, Luria explained.
“I think one of the things he was happiest about was spending more time with his family — and it was just cut too short, too soon,” she added.
The driver of the vehicle remained on the scene and information is not available on any charges at this time. The Fatal Accident Crash Team is investigating the incident.
- Class of 2020 ‘Commemorative Brick Program’ planned for Town Point Park in Norfolk
- Norfolk Collegiate receives gift to offer ‘inclusive and supportive community’
- Chesapeake private school to open for full-time, in-person instruction
- Hampton University files lawsuit over pharmacy school’s withdrawal of accreditation
- VB mayor asks state legislators for $10M toward delayed Building 2 renovations