VIRGINIA BEACH, Va. (WAVY) — The Virginia Aquarium released a Loggerhead turtle who had been injured earlier this summer.
Officials say the turtle, who officials named Thallium, was accidentally hooked in the mouth earlier this summer and also showed signs of a vessel interaction wound.
The Aquarium’s naming theme this year is the Periodic Table and that is how Thallium got its name.
Dr. Ally from the Aquarium reportedly “removed the hook & a dead piece of bone from the carapace associated with the wound to aid in healing.”
The turtle was monitored and placed on antibiotics as its healing progressed.
As the staff hoped for, Thallium reportedly responded to the treatment well and was released earlier this month.
- Virginia Oct. 31 COVID-19 update: Over 1,550 new cases reported, daily percent positivity rate rises in Hampton Roads
- Halloween treat: Full ‘blue moon’ set to shine
- Is Trump or Biden winning? 5 clues from early voting
- $1,200 direct payments: Americans blame both parties for stimulus check stalemate
- Vice President Mike Pence to visit Elizabeth City Saturday