VIRGINIA BEACH, Va. (WAVY) — Virginia Beach police have a suspect in custody after a barricade situation lasted several hours Tuesday morning in the Salem area of the city.
Police say they were notified after 8 a.m. after initial callers said that a male suspect had brandished a firearm, and made verbal threats towards a victim in the 1200 block of Northvale Drive, near Pleasant Valley Road. The suspect and victim were known to each other.
Officers arrived on scene and were directed to the home the suspect entered. They made multiple attempts to communicate with the suspect, which he ignored. Members of the VBPD Special Operations SWAT team responded and continued attempting to communicate with the suspect.
Police took 35-year-old Ekron Ackielon Brown into custody around 12:30 p.m. without incident. Brown was charged with three counts of brandishing a firearm. He is currently being held at the Virginia Beach City Jail.
There were no injuries reported.
Two schools, Salem High and Middle, were placed on precautionary lockdown during the incident and the public was asked to avoid the area due to the large police presence.
No other information is available at this time. Check back for updates on this developing news.
- Pritzker moves prisoners ahead of adults with high-risk medical conditions in vaccination line
- Local organization feeds 5,000 people while honoring Martin Luther King, Jr.
- VSP: 4-vehicle crash with injuries on I-264 eastbound
- BLOG: What’s a Circumhorizontal Arc (aka ‘Rainbow Cloud’)?
- Metal guitarist saw in famous photo arrested in connection with Capitol riot