VIRGINIA BEACH, Va. (WAVY) — Virginia Beach Police are investigating a two-vehicle crash that happened Saturday night leaving seven injured — three of whom were children.
Police say they have arrested 24-year-old Christopher Isaiah Carroll and charged him with driving while intoxicated, first offense.
The call came in just after 7:30 p.m. for a crash at 40th Street and Pacific Avenue in Virginia Beach.
While on the way to the scene, the Virginia Beach Fire Department received a second call saying that one of the vehicles was on fire.
Once on the scene, firefighters called for backup as the vehicle was “fully engulfed against the building.” Firefighters say the fire was under control within 15 minutes.
Officials say that additional ambulances responded to assist with the seven patients, including the U.S Navy Region Mid-Atlantic Fire-Rescue. The patients were transported to local hospitals with injuries that are not known at this time.
At 12:15 a.m. on Sunday, both northbound and southbound lanes between 38th Street and 40th Street remained closed while police investigated the crash.
No further information is available at this time and the crash is still under investigation by the Virginia Beach Police.
- Potential long-term closure at Centerville Turnpike Bridge in Chesapeake leaves businesses worried
- 2 dead in 6-vehicle crash Thanksgiving night in Richmond’s northside
- Family of Norfolk shooting victim offering $10,000 reward for information leading to suspect’s arrest
- Man suffers life-threatening injuries after shooting on Maplewood St. in Hampton
- Venezuela judge convicts 6 American oil execs, orders prison