‘I held her hand’: Witnesses recount helping girl injured in fatal crash at Oceanfront

Virginia Beach

VIRGINIA BEACH, Va. (WAVY) – A car crash near the Virginia Beach Oceanfront left one person dead and two others seriously injured.

Police say the call for the two-vehicle crash came in at around 10 a.m. Friday at the intersection of 35th Street and Pacific Avenue.

Police say they found three injured occupants in the crash. Two victims were taken to a local hospital with serious injuries. One adult victim succumbed to injuries on the scene and pronounced dead by officials.

10 On Your Side spoke with a couple who witnessed the crash.

Jonathan Noorman said he rushed to help a mother and a daughter inside one of the vehicles, however the mother didn’t survive.

“I’m definitely worried about that girl and what she’s going through right now — being in the hospital without her mother and wondering where she is — so that’s kind of heart-wrenching,” he said.

Noorman said a small Nissan had just turned onto Pacific Avenue from 35th Street when a truck T-boned the car, sending the vehicle spinning in his direction.

“When the lady driving the small Nissan got hit, she spun around and actually ended up hitting the truck two more times,” Noorman said. “I just knew it was really bad, right off the bat.”

He and others rushed to help. Noorman said a girl in her teens crawled out of the car, dazed and bleeding badly from her head.

“I held her hand and I reassured her that she’d be OK,” Noorman said.

His wife, Shii Noorman, called 911.

“She just laid down on the floor and my husband grabbed anything he could find to help with the bleeding, and she kept asking him ‘Is my mother dead? Is my mother dead?’” Shii said.

The girl and one other person were taken to the hospital but the woman driving the car died at the scene. WAVY News is told the mother and daughter had just checked out of their hotel and were heading home right before the crash.

“It’s just sad, period, all around and I hope the family can just embrace each other and be with one another,” Shii said.

It’s not clear if the driver of the truck was alone or the extent of their injuries. Police have not said what, if anything, contributed to the crash.

Roadways were closed for several hours while officials investigated the crash. It reopened to all traffic around 3 p.m. Friday.

No further details have been released.

Stay updated on WAVY.com for the the latest on this breaking news.

Copyright 2020 Nexstar Broadcasting, Inc. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.

Contact 10 On Your Side

Need 10 On Your Side?

Contact 10 On Your Side Click here for details.

WAVY Twitter Widget

WAVY Facebook

Trending stories