VIRGINIA BEACH, Va. (WAVY) -- More than a hundred rallied in opposition of President Trump's firing of Attorney General Jeff Sessions on Thursday, joining thousands across the country.
Indivisible 757, a local progressive advocacy group, organized the rally in order to "protect the Mueller investigation."
Robert Mueller is special counsel in the investigation into potential coordination between Russia and the Trump campaign, He was appointed following the recuse of Sessions, a decision the president wasn't fond of.
Organizers say the naming of acting Attorney General Matthew Whitaker is a "deliberate attempt to obstruct the special counsel's investigation."
"We all have to stand together to defend the rule of law," said Josiah Winter who attended. "This is not a witch hunt because we are finding real criminal activity."
There were several Trump supporters in attendance as well who said they certainly don't see eye to eye with protesters concerns.
"This has all been within 24 hours ago, barely even a day," said James Tackeberry. "At least some of the conversations I had [with people] they are not open to new ideas. That's why I came."
Organizers plan to have more events in the future.
- Virginia joins 15 other states suing Trump over national emergency
- Pit bull puppy turned away from PetSmart play date promotion, VB woman says
- Police investigating shooting on I-264 in Portsmouth
- Police: Child shot in Portsmouth, taken to hospital with serious injuries
- Pitch for Pot: Mother of child with cancer, local delegate want marijuana reform in Va.
- 85-year-old woman hospitalized in hit-and-run crash in Norfolk dies
- Nikola's Story: Parents of child with rare disease push Va. to update newborn screening
Chesapeake Copyright by WAVY - All rights reserved
Copyright 2019 Nexstar Broadcasting, Inc. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.