VIRGINIA BEACH, Va. (WAVY) — Jill Beard is the owner of Living in Glass Houses where she creates pieces of art out of fused glass.
For her, the Small Business Saturday event, held in the Vibe district, was important.
“Being able to come out here today and get with people — it’s like a vacation to be out and be with people,” said Beard.
She says because of COVID-19, many of the festivals she would normally go to have been canceled.
“Shopping local is so important right now. It keeps the money in the community and it’s helping your small businesses keep going,” she said.
Because of COVID-19, the event looked a little different. Businesses were spread out throughout the ViBe District at six different pop-up locations.
Ryann Staab with Capstone Mushroom grows mushrooms indoors.
“I grow mainly oyster mushrooms, shitake mushrooms, king trumpets and lion’s mane mushrooms,” said Staab.
He says he was happy to see the turnout today and how many people are doing their best to support small businesses.
- NC COVID-19 May 7 update: Reported daily death more than double in 24-hour period
- VB Crime Solvers seeking seafood snatcher
- VB authorities seeking well-dressed man who tried to use stolen credit card for $900 in purchases
- Virginia Zoo announces passing of longtime bison
- FBI: Tennessee man paid hitman in Bitcoin to kill his wife