VIRGINIA BEACH, Va. (WAVY) — A Virginia Beach neighborhood dealt with a gas leak as a result of Friday night’s storms.
Fire officials tell 10 On Your Side the gas leak occurred on Whitman Lane, not far from Haygood Road.
Virginia Beach Fire said lightning hit a tall tree around 7 p.m. The bolt traveled through the tree and struck a natural gas line that’s underneath it.
Virginia Natural Gas crews came out to repair the line. We spoke to neighbors who heard the impact when the lightning struck.
They said they came outside and smelled something burning, but about 20 minutes later, they started smelling fumes.
“It was very loud. It almost felt like it shook the house,” said Blayr O’Reilly. “A couple of picture frames kind of got knocked down. It was pretty loud, out of nowhere. Never experienced something so close like that.”
The tree is still standing. No one was injured and there was no damage from that lightning strike.