VIRGINIA BEACH, Va. (WAVY) — Virginia Beach Police say a motorcycle crash resulted in a fatality Friday night.
Police say the crash happened on Princess Anne Road near Cheyenne Road.
The call reporting the crash came in at 8:16 p.m., dispatchers said.
Initial investigation revealed that the motorcyclist was travelling east on Princess Anne Road, approaching the intersection with Cheyenne Road.
At the same time, a sedan was travelling west on Princess Anne Road, preparing to turn left onto Cheyenne.
As the sedan was making a left turn on a solid green light, it struck the motorcyclist causing it to slide across the roadway, hitting another vehicle that was stopped at the intersection waiting for the traffic light to cycle.
Officials say the motorcyclist, identified as 33-year-old Virginia Beach resident Steven Charles Smith Jr., was pronounced dead on the scene.
As of 10:15 p.m., eastbound traffic on Princess Anne Road was being diverted at Parliament Drive. One westbound lane was open.
The operator of the sedan was issued a citation for failing to yield while making a left turn.
Police will release more information as it comes available.
Stay with WAVY.com for updates.
- Local detox center working to meet increased demand of alcohol and drug abuse since pandemic began
- ODU to open School of Cybersecurity, first of its kind in the nation
- Portsmouth police still searching for hit-and-run driver after USPS worker hit; neighbors say road a concern
- Video chat allows residents at Westminster Canterbury to tutor students
- Hampton family loses home in fire, school staff steps in to help