VIRGINIA BEACH, Va. (WAVY) — February 18 was Derrick Nnadi Day in Virginia Beach in honor of the Ocean Lakes High grad, who just won the Super Bowl with the Kansas City Chiefs.
Nnadi made national headlines after the win when he promised to pay adoption fees for homeless dogs at a Kansas City animal shelter.
The 6-foot-1, 317-pound defensive lineman made several stops across the city, including Ocean Lakes and a local Boys and Girls Club, before being honored at Tuesday night’s city council meeting.
Nnadi was seen rolling around on a scooter after having surgery on his left foot.
“On this date February 18th, let it be known as Derrick Nnadi Day. In the great state of Virginia,” Nnadi tweeted.
- Ynot Italian restaurant feeds medical staff at local hospital
- Despite services canceled, Chesapeake church choir sings for community
- ‘Taco Tuesday’ Taco Bell plans to feed America this Tuesday
- I-664 southbound lanes closed in Hampton due to crash; delays expected while State Police investigate
- Virginia launches ‘Restaurant Lovers Takeout Week’ to support business during closures