VIRGINIA BEACH, Va. (WAVY) -- A healthy, baby boy came into the world on the side of Interstate 64 early Thursday morning.
Mike and Jenny Maugeri from Virginia Beach were headed to Bon Secours DePaul Medical Center after Jenny went into labor around 6 a.m., but baby Miles Maugeri had other plans.
Mike was able to help Jenny safely deliver the baby boy, with the assistance of a 911 dispatcher -- just a few exits away from the hospital in Norfolk, according to the couple.
According to the couple, Jenny felt contractions coming on fairly quickly. Before she knew it, the baby was ready to make an entrance into the world. Mike pulled over and Miles Carson was born on the highway in the arms of his father. He is perfectly healthy at 7 pounds and 11 ounces. However, his family says it was quite a journey delivering their fourth child in their Toyota Sienna with cars zooming by them.
Not only that, but the baby didn't cry immediately, and the cord was wrapped around his neck. Mike says that's when he focused on the voice of the dispatcher on the phone.
"He said you have to find something to clamp the cord, so I got my shoelace off and tied it where he told me to so then we waited for the paramedics to get there."
Paramedics arrived and quickly took over. They quickly took the family to the place they were originally headed for, the hospital.
"He was determined not to let himself be forgotten as the fourth," said Jenny. "Don't worry, it's still the last one, still the grand finale."
The family knew they would name their daughter 'Sienna' had it been a little girl. However, they figured Miles Carson would be the perfect fit for their new bundle of joy.
- Norfolk Police arrest man for abducting 25-year-old woman from gas station
- Prosecutors: No charges sought in death of Jamycheal Mitchell
- Lawmakers honor Bellamy Gamboa's life at state capitol, declare day in her honor
- Hidden History: Saving a School
- Daughter of victim in deadly crash says speed limit on Shore Drive needs to change
- Trial underway in 'Pokemon Go' security guard murder case
- "Empire" actor Jussie Smollett charged with felony for allegedly falsifying police report