PORTSMOUTH, Va. (WAVY) — A 2-year-old child died after being bitten by a dog Monday afternoon in Portsmouth.
Portsmouth Police say the attack happened just before 2 p.m. in the area of Darby Close, and officers found the 2-year-old with life-threatening injuries. The child was taken to the hospital, but later died.
The dog, a 1-year-old male pit bull, was surrendered to animal control officers and placed in quarantine.
People living on Darby Close didn’t want to speak on camera, but they tell 10 On Your Side they’re heartbroken for the toddler’s family.
In a post for an online fundraiser, the organizer, who identified as a family member, described the little girl as intelligent, sassy and a complete ball of energy.
Police say detectives and animal control officers are investigating the case, but have yet to release additional details. WAVY is working to learn if anyone will be charged in the case.
There is a GoFundMe set up to help the child’s family. If you feel inclined to donate, click here.
- Two bystanders help save woman from fiery car crash on West Norfolk Bridge
- Hampton Roads news anchor Jane Gardner dies following long-term battle with cancer
- Good News with Gaskins: July 12
- Four-vehicle crash involving police car sends man to hospital
- Multifamily fire in Virginia Beach damages 2 homes, leaves 5 displaced