PORTSMOUTH, Va. (WAVY) — A 2-year-old child died after being bitten by a dog Monday afternoon in Portsmouth.
Portsmouth Police say the attack happened just before 2 p.m. in the area of Darby Close, and officers found the 2-year-old with life-threatening injuries. The child was taken to the hospital, but later died.
The dog, a 1-year-old male pit bull, was surrendered to animal control officers and placed in quarantine.
People living on Darby Close didn’t want to speak on camera, but they tell 10 On Your Side they’re heartbroken for the toddler’s family.
In a post for an online fundraiser, the organizer, who identified as a family member, described the little girl as intelligent, sassy and a complete ball of energy.
Police say detectives and animal control officers are investigating the case, but have yet to release additional details. WAVY is working to learn if anyone will be charged in the case.
There is a GoFundMe set up to help the child’s family. If you feel inclined to donate, click here.
- Hampton will offer loans to small businesses, extend tax deadline for those affected by coronavirus
- Senators call for assistance to mortgage servicers to avoid ‘housing finance system crisis’
- 2 die, 7 hospitalized after at least 60 test positive for COVID-19 at Orange County nursing home
- After season cut short, VB school celebrates 8th-grade basketball players by going door-to-door with pompoms, signs
- President Trump jokes he’ll “take a look” at giving pardon to Joe Exotic