SURRY COUNTY, Va. (WAVY) — The Surry County Board of Supervisors has approved a measure to begin the process of moving the county’s Confederate monument.
The Board of Supervisors voted to move the monument during a virtual meeting Thursday night.
County Administrator Melissa Rollins confirmed the board’s vote to WAVY-TV 10 following the meeting.
Over the weekend following the vote, the monument was removed from its pedestal in front of the circuit court building.
Now the county must wait 30 days to see if a museum or historical group wants to take the monument before deciding where it will ultimately go.
Stay with WAVY.com for updates.
- Turnovers doom Washington in 34-20 loss at Cleveland
- Motorcycle driver trying to escape trooper killed in collision with truck in Henrico County
- Pedestrian hit by vehicle at Granby Street intersection in Norfolk
- Deerfield Correctional Center reports 15th inmate death from COVID-19
- Virginia Museum of History and Culture to begin its renovation and expansion in October