SUFFOLK, Va. (WAVY) — A tractor-trailer full of live hogs overturned Saturday morning near Suffolk Executive Airport.
According to police, the accident happened in the 1300 block of Carolina Road just after 8 a.m.
Both northbound and southbound sides of Carolina Road between Turlington Road and the Whaleyville split were closed with detours in place.
Reports say the truck was carrying livestock with approximately 180 hogs on board at the time of the accident. Smithfield Foods sent a response team to the scene.
Smithfield did not disclose the number of deceased or injured animals, but did provide WAVY News with a statement.
““On Saturday, May 9, a truck transporting hogs to a Smithfield Foods facility was involved in an accident on Carolina Road in Suffolk, Va. No other vehicles were involved in the incident and the driver was not injured. A Smithfield Emergency Team assisted with transferring the hogs into alternate vehicles for transport.”Smithfield Foods
Suffolk Animal Control responded to the scene, as well as crews from Suffolk Public Works.
The cause of the accident is still under investigation.
- Thirsty Camel owner says he’ll rebuild, Norfolk considers launch of Ocean View tourism fund
- Booker T Washington High School reopens baseball field after new upgrades
- 1 injured after shooting on London Street in Norfolk
- Glenn Youngkin wins Republican nomination for Virginia governor after Snyder concedes
- VB officers recover handgun, drugs after arresting convicted felon