UPDATE: The August 5 WOW event is canceled because Dominion Energy crews are working to restore power to the area where the job fair was to be held.
SUFFOLK, Va. (WAVY) – There are dozens of businesses currently hiring in Suffolk and the city wants to make sure job seekers are aware of these opportunities.
Starting next week, the Suffolk Economic Development Department plans to host a weekly, in-person job fair, titled “Workforce Opportunity Wednesday” — or WOW!
The event is free and open to the public.
Location: Hilton Garden Inn – Suffolk Riverfront – 100 E. Constance Road
Date: Every Wednesday, beginning August 5
Time: 11 a.m. until 2 p.m.
Organizers say CDC safety guidelines will be practiced at the ongoing event, by businesses and job candidates. There will be no more than five businesses represented at each WOW event, and they will be socially distanced from each other. Job candidates will also be separated.
Hand sanitizer and masks will be distributed at a dedicated entrance.
Look for updates on the Economic Development Facebook events page regarding which businesses will be showcased each week.
The weekly fairs are expected to run through at least September.
The Economic Development staff has been maintaining a list of Suffolk–based businesses who are actively seeking new talent. The list can be found at this link.
Additional Suffolk Resources:
- ‘Poker run’ to be held this weekend for family of 9-year-old shot and killed in July in Chowan County
- Does the coronavirus spread easily among children?
- UPDATE: Canadian woman accused of mailing ricin to Trump, South Texas authorities identified by CBP head
- NC man had 133 child sex crime victims, bond remains at $20M, sheriff says
- Civil rights leader Rev. Robert Graetz passes away at 92