Resident suffers serious burns after house fire on Woodrow Avenue in Suffolk

Suffolk

SUFFOLK, Va. (WAVY) — A male resident suffered serious burn injuries Monday in a house fire on Woodrow Avenue, which fire officials say was caused by unattended cooking.

Suffolk Fire & Rescue responded to the 200 block of Woodrow Avenue around 7:15 p.m. for a report of a residential structure fire and found smoke coming from the front of the building and fire in the rear.

The single occupant of the home had evacuated before firefighters arrived and was found at a neighbor’s house. He was assessed and treated on scene and then taken to Sentara Norfolk General Hospital with serious injuries. He was still hospitalized as of Tuesday.

The residence also sustained heavy fire, smoke and heat damage.

The fire was marked under control at 7:42 p.m.

No firefighters were injured, and the person who was injured was also displaced by the fire.

Download the WAVY News App to keep up with the latest news, weather and sports from WAVY-TV 10. Available in both the Apple and Google Play stores.

Copyright 2021 Nexstar Media Inc. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.

Trending Stories

WAVY Twitter Widget

***Don’t Miss Module Removal CSS***

WAVY Facebook