SUFFOLK, Va. (WAVY) - Birdsong Peanuts processing plant on Factory Street in Suffolk caught fire Monday morning.
According to a news release from the Suffolk Fire Department, crews were called to the 300 block of Factory Street around 5:10 a.m. after receiving reports of a fire at Birdsong Peanuts.
When crews arrived there were no visible signs of smoke or fire from the outside, but after a physical inspection of the property, firefighters found heavy smoke and fire on the 7th floor of the facility.
Crews used ladder trucks and the help of a sprinkler system to extinguish the fire.
Seven employees were evacuated from the building and no one was injured.
Stay with WAVY.com for updates.
Bennett's Creek Crossing welcomes new...
Laundry room dryer catches fire in...
- Virginia joins 15 other states suing Trump over national emergency
- Pitch for Pot: Mother of child with cancer, local delegate want marijuana reform in Va.
- Police investigating shooting on I-264 in Portsmouth
- Police: Child shot in Portsmouth, taken to hospital with serious injuries
- 85-year-old woman hospitalized in hit-and-run crash in Norfolk dies
- Lawmakers pass bills addressing eviction rates in Virginia
- VB man trying to find the owner of a backpack that fell from car