SUFFOLK, Va. (WAVY) — A fire that broke out at the John C. Holland Enterprises Landfill Thursday was caused by spontaneous combustion, according to fire officials.
Firefighters say about a six-story high pile of trash, about 100 yards by 100 yards, burned. The landfill is in the 4800 block of Nansemond Parkway, not far from Florence Bowser Elementary School.
The fire was reported around 8 a.m. and crews had it contained by 1 p.m.
Two engines, two tankers and a brush truck responded to the scene, and an excavator was on hand to help firefighters move material to allow water streams to penetrate the debris, firefighters say.
Landfill staff remained on scene after the fire was under control to work excavators and add dirt to the top of the affected debris pile.
Images from Chopper 10 showed streams of white smoke coming from the landfill when it actively burning.
- Push Comedy Club hosts fundraiser for West Ghent fire victims
- Seton Youth Shelters receives $1 million in funding from American Rescue Plan Act
- New signage going up on old Norfolk Southern building in downtown Norfolk
- Gov. Northam says he wants transition of power to be efficient, set Youngkin up for success
- Biden announces plan for free COVID home test kits