Fire Marshal: Suffolk landfill fire caused by spontaneous combustion

Suffolk

SUFFOLK, Va. (WAVY) — A fire that broke out at the John C. Holland Enterprises Landfill Thursday was caused by spontaneous combustion, according to fire officials.

Firefighters say about a six-story high pile of trash, about 100 yards by 100 yards, burned. The landfill is in the 4800 block of Nansemond Parkway, not far from Florence Bowser Elementary School.

The fire was reported around 8 a.m. and crews had it contained by 1 p.m.

Two engines, two tankers and a brush truck responded to the scene, and an excavator was on hand to help firefighters move material to allow water streams to penetrate the debris, firefighters say.

Landfill staff remained on scene after the fire was under control to work excavators and add dirt to the top of the affected debris pile.

Images from Chopper 10 showed streams of white smoke coming from the landfill when it actively burning.


Latest Posts

Copyright 2021 Nexstar Media Inc. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.

Trending Stories

WAVY Twitter Widget

***Don’t Miss Module Removal CSS***

WAVY Facebook