SUFFOLK, Va. (WAVY) — Crews in Suffolk say a house fire left three people displaced, nine pets dead and one firefighter with minor injuries on Saturday.
Firefighters responded just after 8:15 p.m. for the incident in the 100 block of Kingsdale Road in Suffolk.
Officials say the first unit on the scene found heavy fire coming from the single-story residence. No one was home at the time of the fire and the fire was under control just after 9:40 p.m.
Three adults were displaced but officials say no assistance is needed. Multiple pets perished in the fire, including three dogs, one kitten and five snakes. One firefighter sustained minor injuries and was transported to a local hospital. Initial reports indicated there were 15 pets that died in the fire, but police later clarified that nine had died.
Neighbors say a couple and one of their adult children lived there.
They recalled seeing the three Boxers running around in the yard most days.
Mary Miller, who lives right next door says she was watching television when she saw the firetrucks go by.
“When I go on the porch the flames had covered the roof shooting out of the side window. It was in full blaze,” Miller described.
Fire officials say they know where the fire started but the cause is undetermined.
A neighbor tells 10 on your side the community is coming together to raise money to help out the family.
- Police: 12-year-old child suffers injuries following overnight shooting in Norfolk
- Following the Funds: Who has donated to presidential candidates in Hampton Roads?
- East Beach neighborhood in Norfolk sees string of mail thefts
- 3 dead, woman seriously injured in crash on East Princess Anne Road
- 50 million and counting: 11 days out, early voting in 2020 surpasses 2016 total