RICHMOND, Va. (WRIC) — Richmond Police Department declared an unlawful assembly on Saturday night after continued unrest in the city brought protesters to RPD Headquarters.
Before arriving at RPD HQ, hundreds of protesters marched through downtown Richmond — beginning at Monroe Park.
At 11:06 p.m., Richmond Police tweeted “please disperse or face arrest” when addressing protesters at the RPD HQ.
Virginia State Police joined in with Richmond Police during the protest and VSP posted a livestream of the incidents.
A dump truck was set on fire outside of RPD HQ as officers tried to secure the area before firefighters could respond.
Tear gas was deployed around 11:10 p.m. after the unlawful assembly was declared and protesters began to disperse.
This is a developing story, stay with 8News for updates.
- Virginia’s eviction moratorium extended to September 7, after Va. Supreme Court grants Northam’s request
- Woman charged with murder after fatal shooting of Portsmouth man back in May, police say
- Virginia August 7 COVID-19 update: Record 2,015 new cases reported, but health department attributes increase to data lag
- Newsfeed Now: Walmart attack caught on video; Obituary goes viral
- Former NY mayor dies, 2 others hospitalized in food processor explosion