CHINCOTEAGUE, Va. (WAVY) — The Chincoteague Volunteer Fire Co. credits guests who helped put out a residential fire early Thursday morning with keeping it from spreading.

At around 2:25 a.m., units were dispatched to a working fire on Wildcat Lane.

The fire spread from a wire shortage next to the air handler, Chincoteague Volunteer Fire Co. said in a release. Most of the active flames were put out by the guests at the time of response. The investigation revealed the flames spread up to three feet high at the height of the fire.

Firefighters used water cans and thermal imaging to contain the spread, and removed the hot and burnt materials from the house.

“Had nobody been in the house it likely would have been a involved structure at the time of dispatch,” the press release reads. “This family was lucky to have had working smoke detectors which woke them up, and gave them ample time to evacuate the structure.”

Chief 3 B. Lappin said units cleared around 3:30 a.m.

Check for the latest updates.