PORTSMOUTH, Va. (WAVY) — Christopher Woodard has been appointed to temporarily fill the city council seat of Portsmouth’s new mayor, Shannon Glover.
The council voted 4-2 on Monday to appoint Woodard, with Glover and former Vice Mayor Lisa Lucas-Burke voting no.
Lucas-Burke was hoping for a second term as vice mayor, but the council voted 5-2 to appoint new council member De’Andre Barnes. Glover and Lucas-Burke voted no.
Barnes is a Portsmouth native who runs a nonprofit for children called the Portsmouth City Sports Club, Incorporated.
30 people in total were vying to fill Glover’s seat.
WAVY will have more coverage of the council meeting coming up. You can watch the meeting on the city’s Facebook page.
- Virginians are traveling to North Carolina for COVID-19 vaccinations, and they’re receiving them
- North Carolinians wait for unemployment benefits as state, feds implement new law
- With some of NC’s COVID numbers improving, now comes the wait for drops in lagging indicators
- 2 men dead after shooting, crash on Settlers Landing Road in Hampton
- Now you can put Bernie Sanders anywhere, thanks to NYU student’s website