PORTSMOUTH, Va. (WAVY) — A vehicle caught fire on the eastbound lanes of the Downtown Tunnel early Sunday morning.
First responders were on the scene of a vehicle engulfed in flames just outside the opening of the tunnel.
According to officials, the call for the vehicle fire came in just after 10 a.m. on I-264 which shortly closed all eastbound lanes.
All lanes reopened nearly 2 hours following the incident.
Motorists are advised to expect delays.
Photos and videos sent by WAVY News 10 viewers show huge black smoke coming from the tunnel.
No further information have been released.
This is breaking news. Stay on WAVY.com for the latest updates.
- Multi-vehicle crash on I-264 in Virginia Beach closes all westbound lanes
- Third stimulus checks: Here’s where we stand as February ends
- Off-duty Henrico police officer killed in hit-and-run, suspect still on the loose
- FDA authorizes J&J’s single-dose shot, giving US 3rd COVID-19 vaccine; Virginia expects to receive about 69K doses
- VDH reports 1st case of UK COVID-19 variant in Southwest Virginia region