PORTSMOUTH, Va. (WAVY) — Portsmouth Police are investigating a shooting Sunday night that left a 1-year-old with a gunshot wound to the upper body.
Officers responded just before 9:30 p.m. to High Street near the 1300 block of Watson Street and found the 21-month-old girl and a 23-year-old woman who were injured. The woman was grazed by a bullet on her upper body.
The child’s wound was originally considered life-threatening, but police said it was no longer life-threatening as of Monday morning. She was taken to the hospital, but the woman refused treatment.
Police say the victims were in a vehicle with others on High Street, turning onto Watson Street, when someone inside a silver 4-door vehicle with 30-day tags started firing.
There were other people in the car in addition to the woman and child, police said.
There’s no other information on the suspect or suspects, but police say efforts are underway to identify the vehicle and its driver.
Anyone with information is asked to call the Crime Line at 1-888-LOCK-U-UP or submit a tip online.
- Father grateful to Alabama officer for saving son’s life during seizure
- ‘We are slammed’: Veterinarian clinics, animal hospitals busier during pandemic
- Houston vs. Baylor football game postponed
- California woman sues fertility doctor accused of using own sperm to impregnate her twice
- CDC reverses course, says people without symptoms should be tested