PORTSMOUTH, Va. (WAVY) — A shooting and subsequent police chase led to a major backup Thursday night on VA-164 in Portsmouth.

The 10-mile backup on the Western Freeway was painful to look at as Chopper 10 showed the mammoth line that snaked all the way up the Freeway, and out of site.  

Portsmouth Police Chief Stephen Jenkins told WAVY’s Andy Fox, via phone call, on Friday morning that the incident started in a neighborhood just off 164 in the 3900 block of Cedar Lane. Jenkins said there was an altercation, and shots were fired into a gray Hyundai Tucson.

“There were multiple officers deployed in that area doing a check point,” Jenkins said.

Officers saw the Tucson speeding and with bullet holes, but the driver refused to stop and drove onto 164 toward to Norfolk.

“They were able to see a vehicle fleeing from that area rapidly, and got into a vehicle pursuit that led to the Western Freeway toward Norfolk,” Jenkins said.

As police pursued, Jenkins said several weapons appeared to be thrown from the vehicle.

The vehicle eventually reached Sentara Norfolk General Hospital, and four people were taken into custody. Two of those four were shot, but are expected to recover, Jenkins says. The two others who weren’t shot were detained, police say, and one was charged with obstruction.

Below are photos and video sent by a viewer of a police scene at Sentara Norfolk General Hospital.

The police investigation led to a major backup on the eastbound lanes of VA-164 in Portsmouth, in the vicinity of the ramp at Cedar Lane.

Chopper 10 flew over the scene around 5:15 p.m. Thursday, showing a large police presence and a line of traffic stretching about 10 miles.

Jenkins wouldn’t say at the time of the interview that any guns were recovered, but said there was no threat to the public due to any guns being at-large.

Meanwhile there’s no suspect information linked whoever fired the shots at the gray car at this time, but the investigation is ongoing.

Keep up to date with the latest news on WAVY.com.