PORTSMOUTH, Va. (WAVY) — Detectives with Portsmouth Police Major Crimes Unit say they located two individuals they wanted to talk to in connection with a recent homicide on Merrimac Drive. Now they are no longer considered persons of interest, police said.
On Jan. 8, Portsmouth Police released the name of one of those individuals and said they were also looking for an unknown man. Police were originally also looking for a woman in the case, but later said she was not considered a person of interest either.
On Jan. 3, officers were called to the 20th block of Merrimac Drive around 12:10 a.m. regarding a man with a gunshot wound to the upper body.
When they arrived on the scene, police and medics found 32-year-old Tony Lamont Deans who they pronounced dead.
Anyone who has information on the man is urged to call the Portsmouth Police Department’s Major Crimes Unit at 757-393-8536, submit an anonymous tip through the Portsmouth Crime Line at 1-888-LOCK-U-UP, or submit a tip online.
- Man injured in shooting on Broad Street in Portsmouth
- Crews respond to fire on Brandon Boulevard in Virginia Beach
- Overturned vehicle on I-64 in Newport News closes westbound travel lanes
- Officers, family and friends remember late Officer Katie Thyne
- Man dies in shooting on Jefferson Avenue in Newport News