Man sentenced to maximum 93 years for killing sister and stepfather


PORTSMOUTH, Va. (WAVY) – The man found guilty of killing his sister and his stepfather has been sentenced to 93 years in a Virginia correctional facility.

On Friday, a jury found 37-year-old Sheldon Porter guilty on two counts of second-degree murder. He was accused in the murder of Wilbur and Chiquita Giles.

Police found them both shot to death inside an apartment on Gateway Drive in Portsmouth on March 16, 2019.

Porter originally faced two counts of first-degree murder in the double-murder.

He was also found guilty of two counts of use of a firearm in the commission of a felony and one count of possession of a firearm after having been convicted of a felony.

The jurors recommended a sentence of 40 years each for the second-degree murder of Wilbur Giles and Chiquita Giles. They also recommended the sentence of 3 years for use of a firearm in commission of murder, 5 years for the subsequent use of a firearm in commission of a murder, and 5 years for possessing a firearm after having been convicted of a felony.

During his sentencing Monday morning after a three-day trial, Porter was given the maximum of 93 years in a Virginia correctional facility.

Family members say Wilbur Giles and his daughter Chiquita Giles spread a lot of love and their deaths are a void that may never be filled.

Wilbur’s sister and Chiquita’s aunt, Brennell Baker, says she misses them so much.

“She had this very unique laugh I’m going to miss that laugh from her and my brother he was a very quiet person he didn’t do a lot of talking but I miss him, I really do miss him now,” explained Baker.

It’s a heartbreak Baker says hits even harder because the person convicted of pulling the trigger is someone they care about.

“I’m just sad because not only we lost two, now we lost three so it’s really hurtful,” Baker said.

“At the end of the day it’s still family, it’s still my cousin but wrong is wrong, right is right. It still hurts, it still stings its a sad case all around,” said Wilbur’s nephew and Chiquita’s cousin, Ronnie Baker.

During the trial the, commonwealth’s attorney brought forward Porter’s cousin who says he called him and admitted to the murders the night it happened.

While the defense argued a lack of evidence such as fingerprints or eye witnesses.

Ronnie and Brennell Baker say they hope Porter gets the help he needs while he’s locked up.

“We forgive him for what he’s done. We still love him, but at the end of the day when you do something like that you have to pay for the crime,” said Brennell.

Family members say they may never know what sparked Porter to pull the trigger.

Copyright 2020 Nexstar Broadcasting, Inc. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.

Trending stories

Don't Miss

WAVY Twitter Widget

***Don’t Miss Module Removal CSS***

WAVY Facebook