PORTSMOUTH, Va. (WAVY) — Hampton Roads Regional Jail is mourning the loss of a jail officer who passed away after contracting the coronavirus during an outbreak at work.
Master Jail Officer Robert Charles Sunukjian, 48, passed away on Thursday, Sept. 24. The Cambridge, Massachusetts native worked with the jail for more than 16 years.
“Over his career, he has worked various assignments throughout the facility. We are grateful for his years of service and he will be sorely missed. We send our heartfelt condolences to his family during this difficult time,” said Lt. Col. Walz, superintendent of HRRJ.
Sunukjian is survived by his wife of 18 years, Ramona Kathleen Sessoms Sunukjian.
- NC COVID-19 May 7 update: Reported daily death more than double in 24-hour period
- VB Crime Solvers seeking seafood snatcher
- VB authorities seeking well-dressed man who tried to use stolen credit card for $900 in purchases
- Virginia Zoo announces passing of longtime bison
- FBI: Tennessee man paid hitman in Bitcoin to kill his wife