PORTSMOUTH, Va. (WAVY) — A house fire in Portsmouth left two residents and four dogs displaced Saturday morning with two pets still unaccounted.
Crews responded just before 9:30 a.m. to the incident in the 400 block of Mount Vernon Avenue. Officials say that arriving units found a two-story home with heavy fire and smoke coming from the second story.
Firefighters worked the interior of the fire and a search was initiated with all occupants being accounted for and outside of the residence.
Officials say the fire extended into the attic space, “preventing an easy extinguishment of the flames.”
Crews marked the fire as under control at 10:50 a.m. Units remained on the scene after the fire to ensure it was out.
The Portsmouth Fire Marshal’s Office conducted a preliminary investigation. The Fire Marshal says that the cause may have been from an animal possible knocking over an unattended candle.
The American Red Cross is assisting the displaced victims.
No further information is available.
Stay with WAVY on air and online for updates.
- 5, including officer, injured and taken to hospital after falling tree causes crash in Suffolk
- One year later: Suffolk city leaders acquire, plan to demolish buildings damaged by tornado
- Virginia Sen. Kaine’s proposal to repeal decades-old war authorization advances to the Senate floor
- VB announces 9 people on shortlist for Kempsville District council seat
- Warwick Little League All-Stars hoping to play in Little League World Series