PORTSMOUTH, Va. (WAVY) — Portsmouth emergency crews responded to a fire in a shredder Wednesday afternoon on Victory Boulevard.
Portsmouth Fire Deputy Chief Justin Arnold said the fire was reported at Wheelabrator at 2 Victory Boulevard around 3:30 p.m.
Firefighters arrived to find heavy smoke coming from the roof of the multi-story trash processing facility.
Firefighters went inside and found trash had caught fire inside a shredder. It was contained to the machine.
U.S. Navy Engine 21 also responded to the scene to provide mutual aid. The business is just down the road from Norfolk Naval Shipyard.
No injuries were reported to firefighters or the employees of the business, Arnold said.
The cause of the fire is unknown.
Last year, there were also two incidents at Wheelabrator.
One was a fire in May.
The second incident was a fire in mid-June — also in a shredder. No injuries were reported during that incident.
Stay with WAVY.com for updates.
- Restaurants say uptick in Thanksgiving take-out orders are helping make ends meet
- House fire on Lynnhaven Drive in Hampton
- CDC considering shortening quarantine time for COVID-19 exposure
- Soldier’s Angels nonprofit looks to adopt military and veteran families in Hampton Roads
- High COVID-19 transmission in communities also increases risk in nursing homes