UPDATE: On Friday, Portsmouth detectives and Fire Marshalls’ have identified three persons of interest, who they believe may have vital information about this case. Read more here.
PORTSMOUTH, Va. (WAVY) — A fire at an apartment building on Victory Boulevard in Portsmouth on Wednesday night left a person dead and three others, including two children, with injuries.
Portsmouth firefighters say the blaze was in the 1100 block of Victory Boulevard. The call came in reporting the fire around 10:15 p.m.
Fire crews arrived and rescued three people from the building. Two adults were taken to Sentara Norfolk General Hospital, and one was later pronounced dead. A child was taken to the Children’s Hospital of the King’s Daughters in serious but stable condition, according to fire officials.
The fire was marked under control just after 11 p.m.
Firefighters say three dogs also died in the fire.
On Friday, fire officials did say cause of the fire has been deemed suspicious after a preliminary investigation. The case is under investigation by the the Portsmouth Police Detective Bureau and the Portsmouth Fire Marshal’s Office.
The Red Cross is assisting 13 people in total who were displaced from the building.
- Second stimulus check: Where we stand as July begins
- Antibody testing for COVID 19 brings in more blood donors
- Man taken to the hospital following East little Creek shooting in Norfolk
- Kanye West announces plans to run for president in 2020
- NC July 5 COVID-19 update: 1,329 new cases reported Sunday, third day of record hospitalizations