PORTSMOUTH, Va. (WAVY/AP) -- A 12-year-old boy died after he was shot in the upper body on Friday and transported to Children's Hospital of the King's Daughter's.
According to a Portsmouth Police spokesperson, the shooting happened around 11 a.m. in the 50 block of Lexington Drive.
Dispatchers told 10 On Your Side the boy was transported the CHKD with serious injuries. He later succumbed to his injuries.
De'Andre Barnes is a school board member in Portsmouth. He has posted on Facebook that the boy was his cousin.
Police do not yet have any suspects in the shooting fatality.
Stay on WAVY.com for the latest.
- Virginia joins 15 other states suing Trump over national emergency
- Pit bull puppy turned away from PetSmart play date promotion, VB woman says
- Police investigating shooting on I-264 in Portsmouth
- Police: Child shot in Portsmouth, taken to hospital with serious injuries
- Pitch for Pot: Mother of child with cancer, local delegate want marijuana reform in Va.
- 85-year-old woman hospitalized in hit-and-run crash in Norfolk dies
- Nikola's Story: Parents of child with rare disease push Va. to update newborn screening
Chesapeake Copyright by WAVY - All rights reserved
Copyright 2019 Nexstar Broadcasting, Inc. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.