POQUOSON, Va. (WAVY) – The Poquoson School Board has decided to return some students to in-person learning starting at the beginning of the fall semester.
Pre-K through third-graders will attend school in-person two days a week starting Sept. 8, the first day of school. The rest of the grades will start the semester 100-percent virtually.
Students with special needs and English language learners will also attend school in-person some days of the week.
Until the percentage of area coronavirus cases goes down, all other grades will be educated virtually. Return to in-person learning will be planned out once health data indicates it’s safe to do so.
Superintendent Arty Tillett sent a message to Poquoson families on Aug. 5 outlining the plan presented to the school board, which was also approved Tuesday night. It allows all parents to choose from one of two options:
- Family Choice Option 1: Continuum of Learning where students may be taught virtually, in a hybrid model or in-person depending on guidance from health officials.
- Family Choice Option 2: Fully virtual (Poquoson Online) where students receive remote instruction for the entire semester.
Get detailed information on each of these options at this link on the Poquoson Schools website.
The school system said all families will need to initially plan for students to be learning remotely for a minimum of three days a week.
We recognize this is an uncertain and trying time for everyone. It has been our goal all along to get our students and staff safely back to school as soon as possible. We continue to collaborate with local and state health officials for guidance on these most important decisions.Superintendent Arty Tillett
The VHSL has also already decided to delay all sports and activities until December 14 and Poquoson Schools will continue under this schedule for the 2020/2021 school year, based on current COVID-19 conditions.
- Season 1 (Winter) December 14 – February 20 (First Contest Date – December 28)
- basketball, gymnastics, indoor track, swim/dive, wrestling
- Season 2 (Fall) February 15 – May 1 (First Contest Date – March 1)
- cheer, cross country, field hockey, football, golf, volleyball
- Season 3 (Spring) April 12 – June 26 (First Contest Date – April 26)
- baseball, lacrosse, soccer, softball, tennis, track and field
- Potential long-term closure at Centerville Turnpike Bridge in Chesapeake leaves businesses worried
- 2 dead in 6-vehicle crash Thanksgiving night in Richmond’s northside
- Family of Norfolk shooting victim offering $10,000 reward for information leading to suspect’s arrest
- Man suffers life-threatening injuries after shooting on Maplewood St. in Hampton
- Venezuela judge convicts 6 American oil execs, orders prison